March 11th, 2013
In this blog I mainly write about small business and business ideas that can inspire you to start your own way as an entrepreneur. But, honestly, I believe that business is a tough thing and it’s not for everyone. With lots of hard work and persistence you sure can succeed, but will it makes you happy? Some of us need the feeling of being part of big system, a trustworthy company that will take charge of our income, insurance etc. Yet still we seek for some personal freedom and don’t want o spend 8 to 5 at the office.
In this case the best option is to become a part of outsourcing company that offers online call center services. Thus you can become an employee with all the benefits that this position give and be „your own boss” at the same time. Besides, working in your own home office, without having to spend time for traveling to office and back is a great advantage! So, if this sounds fair enough to you, then check this top of US companies that offer remote work opportunities.
1. Convergys is a major leader on the market of relationship management that offer call center facilities to some of global brands. Company has a headquarter in Cincinnati, Ohio and employs over 70 000 people from the United States, Canada, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia. Convergys has a special Work at Home department offering remote work – Home Agent job – a great work from home opportunity for some added income for a work from home mom.
2. 1800Flowers is a company located on Long Island, NY that offer outsourcing call center services for such companies as Cheryl & Company Gourmet Cookies, The Popcorn Factory and Fannie May Chocolates.
Usually 1800Flowers hire agents on a temporary basis in high season (Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day, Christmas, etc.) for full time work. Agents take inbound calls and complete transactions using special software application. Training is provided by employers and is paid. Agents work as employees, but not as independent contractors as it usually is with home based jobs.
3. TeleTech@Home is one of the largest global providers of strategic and technology-enabled business process outsourcing solutions.
To become one of their employees you need to have previous experience in customer service, a high speed internet connection, a corded telephone and a quiet work place at home. In addition to all this TeleTech will provide you with a corded headset and a WorkBooth CD that connects you to everything you need, including your supervisor.
4. Sitel is a business processing outsourcing (BPO) company that employs over 50 thousand people in 25 countries. The majority of employees are onsite workers, but Sitel also have a separate work at home call center department.
Company hires employees with knowledge of English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Mandarin, Portuguese and Spanish that will take care of the inbound customer service calls for Sitel clients. Some positions also imply billing, account inquiries, technical troubleshooting and product orders.
Applicant can choose between a part time job (4-5 hours per day) and full time job (6-8 hours a day). A working week should include at least 1 weekend day. Unlike many home call center companies, Sitel hires agents as employees, not independent contractors. It means that work at home moms will have all the benefits of an ordinary full time office employee.
5. Alpine Access is a company, that started the home-based agent service over 10 years ago. A lot of trustworthy reputable companies use their services to meet the needs of their growing customers.
This company have both full time and part time positions in USA and Canada with competitive hourly wage. Every employee is eligible for medical, dental and vision healthcare plans as well as life and disability plans after 30 days from your hire date. In addition a matching 401K retirement plan is offered after one year of employment, working an average of 20 hours per week.
In general, to become one of the online call center employees you need to have a high quality PC with high speed Internet connection and quiet workplace with no background noise. Some of the companies also require a telephone with mute button and surge protector. Strong written and verbal communication skills are also essential. Sales skills and previous experience can be considered as an advantage, but you can apply anyway. Just remember, that a work at home job might sound like heaven (working from the comfort of your home is tempting), but it has one very serious drawback. You have to be a highly self-motivated and organized person to fulfill all your duties from home, when there’s no bosses supervising you and telling you what and when to do.